Saturday, December 5, 2009

2012 The Movie

Last Tuesday I managed to see the movie "2012" finally..
There are a couple of reasons for which I wanted to see this movie.The first and foremost is the theme of the movie.The prediction of apocalypse in 2012 as per Mayan calendar becoming true and human race is struggling for it's existence.Mayan civilization and particularly their astronomy and calendar always awed me with mystery.On top of that it was a Roland Emmerich(of Independence Day and Day After Tomorrow fame) movie.I was eager to watch how the master of disaster genre portrays the doomsday.



The special effects were amazing as expected.The destruction of California and Yellowstone National Park erupting like a volcano revealed the beauty of destruction in a magnificent way.In comparison the story and script seemed bit weak and incoherent to me.I really got bored sometime in the second half of the show.The treatment of global politics in this movie could have been much more interesting and intriguing but may be the director was not much interested in adding such a complex dimension to his plot.
However I came to know about the  Charles Hapgood's Earth Crust Displacement Theory(ECD) from this movie.Prior to that I was only aware of the Plate Tectonic theory, which I came to know from my mother when I was a kid.I still remember that map of ancient earth few millions which she showed to me from one of her textbooks.It looked something like:


As per Plate Tectonics the continental landmasses in the Earth's lithosphere are moving and this movement is very slow causing perceptible shifts over span of millions of years.ECD adds on top of this and predicts that movement of the entire Earth's crust (lithosphere) in certain occasions is another possibility.This was supported by Einstein but is a highly debated and controversial theory.Anyway's nice to know
In this movie we see that neutrinos emitted from a Solar explosion is resulting in rapid increase of temperature in center of the Earth.This will ultimately lead to ECD.
After the water recedes and landmasses appear we come to know that Africa has risen above sea level and South Pole is now somewhere near old Wisconsin.:-)
Anyway just for the special effects I am waiting for an Imax version of this movie.
Tuesday we had a fire incident and office building was closed the entire day.So a disaster movie went well with the theme of the day.

No comments: